Submitted by Upton Daily’s Health and Fitness contributor Christine Silvestri
This recipe is gluten and dairy free
If you are looking to make a nice bread as a hostess gift, or just to enjoy with your family, give this one a try. It’s gluten and dairy free so those with allergies can enjoy it also.
Cranberries are loaded with nutrients and health benefits. They contain five different phytonutrients (beneficial compounds found in plants) that have anti-cancer, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Cranberries also protect against urinary tract infections, help with immune support, and helps with cholesterol control. With only 46 calories per cup, they are rich in fiber, vitamins c and e, as well as the mineral manganese.
Cranberries are in season this time of year and are often on sale. Stock up and freeze them to use later in the year. They are great in sauces, chutneys, salsa, breads, muffins and even smoothies! Try mixing cranberries with chili type sauces for a great marinade!
Holiday Cranberry Bread
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 9×5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper
- Zest and juice of 1 orange (about 1/4-1/3 cup)
- 2/3 cup coconut, almond or any non dairy milk of choice ( not canned coconut milk)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (melted if solid)
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 cups baking flour of choice ( I used Bob’s Red Mill All Purpose Gluten Free Baking Flour)
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar plus 1T
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup frozen cranberries (chopped optional)
- 1/2 chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- Mix wet ingredients plus sugar together in a bowl until well combined
- In a separate bowl mix the dry ingredients together minus cranberries and nuts
- Combine both the wet and dry and mix until well combined but do not over mix. Add in the cranberries and nuts and mix until worked in
- Pour the batter into the pan and and sprinkle with additional 1T of sugar if desired
- Bake 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean